[SATLUG] Looking for A good MOBO manufacturer

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 12:15:49 CDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Robert Pearson<e2eiod at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is aimed at Al and Jeremy and anyone else with similar experience.
> I have always heard about the distinction between Desktop and Server mobo's.
> Typically the price differential is at least $100. The performance and
> reliability is also quite different.
> The last data I have shows a good Desktop mobo is at least $100 while
> a good Server one is at least $200. So is the range still about
> $100-$200 for a Desktop and $200-$400 for a Server?
> Many people want to buy a $50 mobo and use it in a Server. Is this a
> good deal ever?
> Does it ever make sense to put a server mobo in a Desktop machine?
> I wonder what the gamers use? Don't they typically overclock?

The "server" mobos will have features common to servers which aren't
included on "normal" mobos like wake-on-lan, console redirection,
onboard SCSI, etc... And they probably use better capacitors. As for a
motherboard for rack systems, especially if its a 1U chassis the mobos
are designed completely different. They are longer with the chips
spread out more and in some cases the RAM slots are angled to a 45
degree to allow the taller ECC/Registered sticks.

I've had mixed experiences with using home hardware as a "server". I
had an old P3 666 Dell as my home server for years that I literaly
could not kill. I've dropped it, kicked it, accidentally pulled the
power cord during a large disc write, and whatever else could ever
happen to a computer. Oh yeah, and my cat pee'ed on it. I have it in
my closet in case my current server ever bites the dust.

I needed more space and faster speed so I built a Athlon64 system. I
could not keep that thing happy. It ran way too hot (even in my server
room), and always crashed. I finally fixed it by using a very large
case fan, but I eventually gave it away because the case fan was so
loud I could hear it in my living room.

With that said, right here in my office we have a mixed Beowulf
cluster with a few of the original 8 year old SuperMicro mobos. They
are still running to this day and only during prolonged power outages
do they rarely turn off.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu