[SATLUG] Broken Hard Drive

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Sat Sep 5 19:31:45 CDT 2009

The typical flying height of the read/write heads is only a fraction of
the size of a typical particle of dust, so contamination is probably the
biggest risk of opening the drive housing yourself.  The damage that
could be done if some dust gets inside the drive (and it's a near
certainty that some will get in there) is the kind that can cause
physical damage to the surfaces of the platters and/or the heads, making
the chance of data recovery that much lower.  Unless you have no other
options, I'd recommend against it.

Al Lesmerises