[SATLUG] Broken Hard Drive

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 21:30:34 CDT 2009

On Saturday 05 September 2009 15:38:00 dinger at dingernet.com wrote:
> My dad's hard drive stopped working 2 weeks ago.  I couldn't get it to
> mount with the System Rescue Live CD and wasn't able to use any utilities
> from the Ultimate Boot CD.  He took it to Altex and they couldn't do
> anything with it either.  They gave him the name of a data recovery place
> in Austin and said it would run between $300-$1400 and since they couldn't
> fix it it wouldn't be the $300.
>
> Anyone know of any alternatives?  Does this sound like the right price range?

Double wrap the drive in ziplock bags, squeezing out any extra air. Put the drive into a freezer for a few hours to get as cold as possible. Then use a IDE/SATA-to-USB2 adapter to attach the drive to a linux system with ntfs-3g driver support (Mandriva One live CD will work). See if the drive mounts and you can copy data from it.