[SATLUG] compatible 802.11 wifi card for Hardy?

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 6 14:02:18 CDT 2009

Cheryl Holmes wrote:
>My Mom lives in Stone Creek RV Park in Schertz.  They have changed wifi
>service providers there and now wifi is available to her for free.
>
>She needs an 802.11 wifi card to use it..I need to know if any of you have
>any idea which card is compatible (works with ) Hardy Heron?

From comments on Newegg.com, many of the cheapest PCI (for desktops) and
USB (for laptops) wireless adapters use the Ralink/Realtek chipsets that
are supported in recent Linux kernels. You can get a decent one for less
than $20. Some additional comments about wireless and Free software are
here[1].

Look at the comments for how well they work in general or other issues,
but you can ignore the ones where Windows users don't know how to update
the drivers. You should get an adapter with WPA2 (security) support.

PCI cards that use an external antenna on a short cable seem to work
better than those that connect directly to the back of the PC, as you
have more choice in where you place the antenna for the best signal.

You may want to update to the 8.04.3 Hardy LTS point release if you
haven't been doing the regular security/bug-fix updates. This should get
you a later kernel with better wireless support.

I think this[2] is the one I got from Altex for the SATLUG show server,
an old Dell OptiPlex GX1. Today I'd get a similar[3] one for half the
price from Newegg.  --Don

[1] http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html

[2] ConnectGear WP440G 802.11g Wireless 54Mbps PCI Adapter
http://www.altex.com/ConnectGear-Wireless-G-PCI-Adapter-WP440G-P142207C10871.aspx

[3] Rosewill RNX-G300EX IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166020

--
Migraine: All the fun of a hangover without the bother of
getting drunk.