[SATLUG] OT From SAPD - new way to assault you

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 14:31:19 CDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Borries
Demeler<demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:

>> borroes...this really happened to you?  the reason i ask is because it
>> sounds so much like a hoax...c
>
> The $470 waterbill was unfortunately not a hoax, and neither was the water damage.
> SAWS refused to reduce the bill or grant a refund of their fees. We filed an SAPD
> police report and were told this was happening all around town, and today I received
> an explanation from this Janie of why they are doing this. It is not just criminal
> mischief, it is an attempt to intrude into your house.
>
> I am sharing this on this list in hopes that it will help you prevent being
> victimized by these guys.
>
> -Borries

I definitely believe the part about the water bill .. I had kids in my
neighborhood down there go around turning on outside faucets and
flooding yards.  Happened to me once then I pulled all the handles off
the faucets so they'd at least need to work at it (carry around
pliers) to cause mischief.

The rest of it sounds like one of those urban legends that get
circulated in e-mail because everyone feels like they're doing the
community a service by forwarding it along.  I couldn't find any
references in the news to people who were drawn out of their houses by
running faucets and subsequently robbed or assaulted.  This sounds
like the "Wet Bandits" from Home Alone if you think about it, heh.
I'm pretty sure 911 is going to be annoyed when they get flooded with
calls that start with "my hose is running, I think I'm going to be
robbed".  Maybe your kid just forgot to turn it off?  Stuff like this
causes more harm than good, as it leads to a lot of "cry wolf"
situations.

Bottom line, use your head.  If you think this is a problem, remove
the faucet knobs/handles or put a lock box around them.  Apartments
and commercial buildings use valves that need special keys to operate
so even pliers wouldn't work.  Some people may even have inside
shutoff valves for external faucets.  Also, if you're going outside in
the the night for any reason, you need to be aware of your
surroundings and just pay attention.  Heck, this goes for any time of
the day.

Be aware, be safe.

-Henry