[SATLUG] compatible 802.11 wifi card for Hardy?

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 6 17:14:03 CDT 2009

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 14:38:43 -0500, Cheryl Holmes
<cherylholmes72 at gmail.com> wrote:

>I did call Tengo Wireless Internet support today..they told me the USB ctads
>work better on their system than the PCI cards..they like D Link but I need
>to use the one that will work with Linux/ Hardy.
Most of what's available now is too new to be well-reported on the Linux
wireless pages. I'm finding it tough researching current D-Link models.
Will try to write more later.

>They also limit your use to 360mbs per day.  Is that ow you say it?  Any
>idea how much time that would convert too for Mom doing email, light surfing
>and reading the newspaper online?

Should be fine. Chances are this is 360 MB (megabytes) rather than mbps
(mega_bits_ per second). The first is data transfer (about 1/2 a CD),
the second would be a connection speed much faster than consumer
wireless devices provide.

Just for comparison, streaming video from NASA TV (www.nasa.gov) is
about 50 megabytes per hour. Text and still pictures are tiny in
comparison. Unless you expect to watch hours of TV online, this
shouldn't be a problem - but be sure you get the real number!

>You like NewEgg as the place for us to buy the adaptor from?

I've been pleased with their service and find they have better
price+shipping than most local sources.  --Don

--
A computer is a hole in your desk you pour time into.