[SATLUG] OT: ATT Mail settings

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Tue Sep 8 08:19:55 CDT 2009

I was in San Antonio for about 10 hours, last Tuesday night/Wednesday
morning, and I managed to get my mom's computer, find the problem (bad
video card) fix it with a spare, and upgrade her ram.

When her machine failed, was in the middle of a switch over from
TimeWarner to AT&T, Telephone/Cable(DSL)/Dish.  She's happy, except of
course, about her computer.

I got Thunderbird installed on it, and went to make sure I could pop
their server (I'm in houston and also have AT&T DSL) but the thing just
sits there and churns for a while, then goes back to idle.  Weird.
Tried to -send- a message, and it errored out, saying it couldn't
connect, check your settings, blah blah.

The server settings, incoming pop and outgoing smtp are identical to
what my setup is (ports 995 and 465, respectively) but it's not playing
nice.

Could it be the geographic location of being in Houston, vs being in San
Antonio that's causing the problems?  It -is- AT&T and one would think
that they'd be on the same network...

Thanks for any help.

-Geoff