[SATLUG] Benefits of multicore CPUs under Linux ?

Howard Haradon hharadon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 11:09:37 CDT 2009

Can the desktop user with an up-to-date distro get much benefit
from the newer duo and quad core cpus?  Are there options that
need to be compiled into the kernel?  Or is this a matter of a
long evolutionary process of gradual adoption of multi-threading
by the application programs?

>From what little I have learned, it sounds like desktop users get
only about 15-20% utilization of the 2nd core with the new duo
processors.  I probably can save money with a cheaper CPU over
the next 8-10 years.

Thanks for any enlightenment,  HH
--
Howard Haradon