[SATLUG] Benefits of multicore CPUs under Linux ?

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 11:26:45 CDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Howard Haradon<hharadon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can the desktop user with an up-to-date distro get much benefit
> from the newer duo and quad core cpus?  Are there options that
> need to be compiled into the kernel?  Or is this a matter of a
> long evolutionary process of gradual adoption of multi-threading
> by the application programs?
>
> >From what little I have learned, it sounds like desktop users get
> only about 15-20% utilization of the 2nd core with the new duo
> processors.  I probably can save money with a cheaper CPU over
> the next 8-10 years.

Certainly you can "use" the extra cores, it just means you can do more
things at once ;) I take advantage of multi-threaded applications and
libraries, especially for video compression. What used to take me 3-6
hours for one DVD, takes about 35 minutes on a quad core AMD.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility