[SATLUG] dumb question mini pci card?

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 8 15:55:02 CDT 2009

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 14:36:25 -0500, Cheryl Holmes
<cherylholmes72 at gmail.com> wrote:

>this threw me...the card I want to buy that works out of the box says "mini
>pci card"
>
>what does that mean and will it fit like a regular pci card in a tower pc?

That would be a "No". The mini-PCI is a small card designed to mount
inside a netbook or other small-form-factor PC. It will not work in the
PCI slots of a typical desktop computer. Neither will the newer full
size PCI-e cards.

There are even two incompatible "mini" card types. Regular mini PCI is
about 2" by 3". The Mini Pci-e is about 1"x2". Neither will be useful in
a typical desktop.

You also have to watch out for half-height card brackets, designed for
the smaller desktop systems that don't have room for full-size PCI
cards. (It's OK to have a half-height card as long as it comes with a
full-height bracket.)  --Don

--
When you see the Christmas Lights go up in the stores, you know
Thanksg..  Hallo..,  uh, *Labor Day* can't be far behind!