[SATLUG] filesystem resize on SLES10.

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Wed Sep 9 13:21:11 CDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 10:04, Enrique Sanchez <esanchezvela.satlug at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> We have a bunch of servers running SLES10 for SAP and once  or twice a
> week we have a fire drill to expand the filesystems for the DBAs, be
> either they size the filesystems wrong, they need to upgrade and it
> involves using more storage, or whatever, we just throw more SAN space
> to the boxes, extend the volume groups, logical volumes and
> filesystems accordingly, but I don't seem to find a supported cluster
> aware logical volume manager for SLES10 that allows online or at least
> offline extension of a filesystem.

LVM with cluster extensions (CLVM, not sure if SLES LVM is compiled with the
code) and CLVMD should have no problem with resizing the LV.  The trick is
going to be the file system.

What FS do you use now?

> is there such a beast of a cluster aware logical volume manager for
> SLES10 that allows online extension for a filesystem, I would settle
> for a filesystem that allows offline extension if it does not involve
> recreating the whole thing over and over again? other than GPFS
> please.

Polyserve.  Expensive & Proprietary but tuned for clustered DB instances and
files.  Can even use on hetero clusters (easy file share betwixt Win/Lin on
the same SAN).

Continue off list discussion if you need me to send a RFQ to my team for
pricing (I gain nothing on the recommendation FWIW).

HTH,
jp