[SATLUG] Unknown Device XXXX and Analog Cable

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Wed Sep 9 16:05:45 CDT 2009

Sorry for the lag, ironically this is the EXACT problem that I had been
dealing with my PVR500 (basically a dual 150).  Fortunately, both 150 and
1600 are supported (analog and digital for the latter), but you should grab
the up to date Mercurial.  Given that the info below is all ancillary to the
conversation, but not needed for discussion, I am leaving it in place and
top posting ;)

The unrecognized hardware is caused by your version of the driver not having
the PCIIDs coded in the driver (Each card has several revisions, so the
PCIIDs can be different for the same "model"), so just update/compile the
driver to/from the latest stable release (my output is below yours).  Notice
I had to up the latency to 128 (0x80) to keep the driver happy, you did not
report issues like that, so YMMV.

Here are the steps.  Note, each is CRITICALLY important to success.  I did
not do the `make menuconfig` and the modules would compile but not load.
Also notice the steps needed when the kernel version is updated (#10).  BTW,
these steps do not address firmware collection, as I am assuming that the
firmware is recent and loaded by existing driver:

   1. Make sure you can compile drivers with the kernel headers installed:
   Verify kernel-headers are installed (I keep the src tree installed as
   well)
   2. Install Mercurial
   `apt-get`, or in my case, `zypper install mercurial`
   3. Clone (or update) the v4l repository
   `hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/` or in the v4l-dvb directory `hg
   update -C`
   4. `rm -Rf /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/media/`
   5. Make working directory the cloned source tree
   `cd v4l-dvb`
   6. Generate the .config file needed for proper compiliation
   `make menuconfig`
   7. Run make in the new directory
   `make`
   8. run make install
   `make install`
   9. reboot computer
   `reboot`
   10. After kernel version change:
   `make distclean;make menuconfig;make;make install;make unload;modprobe
   ivtv`

HTH,
jp

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 10:24, Peter Cross <pjcrux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
> I have two Hauppauge cards one is a PVR-150 and another is an HVR-1600.
> Both
> when I run lspci -v return the following:
>
> 01:04.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23418
> Single-Chip
> MPEG-2 Encoder with Integrated Analog Video/Broadcast Audio Decoder
>        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. Unknown device 7400
>        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
>        Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64M]
>        Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data <?>
>        Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2
>        Kernel driver in use: cx18
>        Kernel modules: cx18
>
> 01:05.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
> (CX23416)
> MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
>        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. Unknown device 37f1
>        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17
>        Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
>        Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>        Kernel driver in use: ivtv
>        Kernel modules: ivtv
>
> However, I don't know what the "Unknown Device XXXX" means. Is this code
> missing in the drivers or something else? Also, the wife and I have analog
> cable coming into the house and both cards don't recognize channels 33-60
> from Time Warner Cable. All of my Analog TV's in the house have no issues
> but for some reason both cards cannot recognize the channels.

06:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR 500 (1st unit)
        Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
        Kernel driver in use: ivtv
        Kernel modules: ivtv

06:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR 500 (2nd unit)
        Memory at c4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
        Kernel driver in use: ivtv
        Kernel modules: ivtv