[SATLUG] "We're in it to win it" Oracle takes aim at IBM

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Thu Sep 10 11:24:22 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 10:14 -0500, Ernest De Leon wrote:
> I couldn't be more proud of Larry Ellison's recent statement in an ad on the
> back page of the New York Times. For those that want to know how Oracle
> plans to aid Open Solaris, Solaris, Sun and the SPARC platform, here it
> is...

> http://www.oracle.com/features/suncustomers.html

> The clash of the titans begins. I'm stoked!

Yeah, I think it will benefit the industry as a whole to have another
systems builder committed to offering an alternative to AMD and Intel,
but I didn't see anything in that web page about Open Solaris - it seems
that Oracle would be competing against its own unbreakable linux to
continue with Open Solaris development.

I'm hoping they do continue both Open Solaris and Virtual Box because as
much as I like VMware, Virtual Box works really well for me and I like
the price a lot better.

Al Castanoli <afcasta at satx.rr.com>