[SATLUG] X gone wrong with dual displays

JJordan jjjordan at grandecom.net
Fri Sep 11 10:37:10 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Mann" <jeremymann at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:29 PM
Subject: [SATLUG] X gone wrong with dual displays

> I've got dual displays on my G5 Mac. I have Gentoo PPC on here and for
> some reason X switches the primary display to the secondary display.
> To get around this, I simply switched DVI cables (95% of my time is
> spent in PPC Linux), but if I reboot into OSX the monitors are now
> switched.
>
> I've played around with randr but cannot get the right configuration
> to fix this.
>
> Any ideas on how to permanently fix this?
If you have nano (or another favorite editor), at the C prompt, execute the
following line: "nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf" . In the "Monitor" and "Screen
sections, change monitor 0 (zero) to one and monitor 1 to 0 (zero). This
change must be made in both Screen and Monitor "Sections" of the xorg.conf
file.

When finished, press Ctrl and x keys simultaneously, say "yes", press Enter,
and the file will be saved and closed (this is with nano). Run startx and
check-out the results.

Regards,
Jim