[SATLUG] Xen Server

Greg Swift gregswift at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 23:19:24 CDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 12:56, redpill <toddwbucy at grandecom.net> wrote:

> I have been thinking about decreasing the number of boxes running in my
> house and have begun to do the research on setting up a xen server.
> Currently I am running Ubuntu server 9.04 but my research indicates that
> this is not the best distro for Xen as there is no support for dom0.  I
> looked into Fedora but same problem.  Debian might be an option but my
> experience with this distro is limited. Does anyone out there have any
> experience with Xen? If so, what host distro do you recommend?
>
> I would like on running the following on the server:
> pfsense - router and wifi access point
> Ubuntu Lamp - wordpress and apache server
> Ubuntu LTSP - thin clienting 2 computers for the kids
> Mythbuntu - would be nice if I could do this but not sure if the TV
> cards will be an issue

Not that you shouldn't look at Xen, but it is likely that the reason why you
are having an issue finding Xen on Fedora and Ubuntu is because they've
decided that KVM virtualization is the right path for them to travel.  If
your host box can support it I would recommend you evaluate that option as
well.   I'm not sure how well the tuner cards would pass through, but part
of KVM's focus is utilizing a more direct hardware access layer.  Xen does
this as well with paravirt, which is the opposite of hvm.  I found a
presentation discussing that they are trying to do what you want, but I am
unsure of their status.
http://www.linux-kvm.org/wiki/images/d/d0/KvmForum2008%24kdf2008_14.pdf

-greg