[SATLUG] Xen Server

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 10:07:21 CDT 2009

If your goal is to become more marketable in the enterprise world and you
want relevant experience, you need to work with the 'enterprise'
hypervisors' out there: Citrix Xen Server and VMware ESX. Microsoft Hyper-V
is also in the same space but I'm not sure if you want to learn the
Microsoft stuff. Either way, only Xen Server and Hyper-V Server are
completely free. You can download a trial of ESX, but they do require a
license eventually. You can get ESXi for free, but it is a watered down
version of ESX and I wouldn't recommend learning on it either. Of all the
options you have available to you, I would highly recommend Xen Server
unless you can get someone to get you an enterprise ESX license. I can also
tell you that 99% of our clients have VMware ESX deployed in the data
center, while the remaining 1% is mostly Xen. I know of maybe one group who
uses Hyper-V exclusively. That's not to say that those percentages will not
change over time, of course they will, but you get an idea what the most in
demand skill set is. I think in the larger market, VMware is around 80%, Xen
is around 10% and the rest (Parallels, Virtual Iron, xVM, Hyper-V, etc.) all
share the last 10%.