[SATLUG] Xen Server

siffland at nerdshack.com siffland at nerdshack.com
Mon Sep 21 20:15:14 CDT 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, toddwbucy at grandecom.net wrote:

> I have been doing a little bit more thinking on what I want from my
> virtualization project and right now this is what I would like to
> combine into one box:
> 1. my router - running pfsense or ddwrt
> 2. a wifi ap - running pfsense or ddwrt in a DMZ
> 3. Firewall - using shorewall
> 4. a myth server that will serve at least 3 thin clients
> 5. a Ubuntu lstp server that will serve at least 3 thin clients
> 6. a apache server that will serve my wordpress blog and family website
> as well as zina (or some other media streamer)
> 7. a file server for my customer backups - I do computer repair on the
> side and I find that it is often good practice to have a separate server
> just for imaging my customers drives before I do any major repairs or
> reinstalls.
> 8. possible run freeNas or unRAID but not sure if this is gonna be a
> good thing to virtualize as I can see problems arising when trying to
> add or remove physical and virtual drives
>
> So far I have had the following software packages recommended:
>
> 1. Xen on Debian or Citrix
> 2. Open VMWare
> 3. KVM on Ubuntu or Fedora
> 4. openVZ
>
> as for hardware this is another concern but I think I have the gear to
> get it done.
>
> Box 1
> Intel Q6600 Core2Quad on a Asus P5n-e sli
> 6 gigs of DDR2
>
> Box 2
> Del PE840 with a Core2Duo Xeon
> 2 gigs of DDR2
> Perc 5i
>
> harddrives
> 3 160 gig sata2
> 2 500 gig sata2
> 2 320 gig sata2
> 2 80 gig eide
> 2 40 gig eide
> 1 200 gig sata2
>

> right now I am leaning toward taking the quad core in box 1 and pairing
> it with the perc 5i.  The only money i want to spend will be on
> hardrives and possible on maxing out the P5n-e to 8 gigs.  My current
> thought is to get 6 more 500 gig drives and running 2 raid 5 with a
> software raid 0 to make a raid 50.  this would give me approx 3 TB then
> take the remaining sata2 drives (totaling approx 1.3 tb) and putting
> them on freeNAS (or some other opensourse NAS platform like unRAID).
>
> as y'all can see this is still in the preliminary planning stages so any
> advice or comments at this stage are greatly welcome.
>
> Todd

If you are really going to run XEN, I would recommend netBSD for the XEN
host.  netBSD is one of the best platforms you can run the host systems
on, it offers great speed and all the benefits of anything else running
XEN.  It also has a smaller foot print for the host system than
RHEL/centOS or unbuntu.  Also I would consider not putting your router on
a virtual machine.  You will also want to get a few network cards.

Consider trying vmware ESXi, it is free.

Sean Iffland