[SATLUG] Xen Server

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Tue Sep 22 18:14:18 CDT 2009

Samuel Leon wrote:
> redpill wrote:
>> I have been thinking about decreasing the number of boxes running in my
>> house and have begun to do the research on setting up a xen server.
>> Currently I am running Ubuntu server 9.04 but my research indicates that
>> this is not the best distro for Xen as there is no support for dom0.  I
>> looked into Fedora but same problem.  Debian might be an option but my
>> experience with this distro is limited. Does anyone out there have any
>> experience with Xen? If so, what host distro do you recommend?
>>
>> I would like on running the following on the server:
>> pfsense - router and wifi access point
>> Ubuntu Lamp - wordpress and apache server
>> Ubuntu LTSP - thin clienting 2 computers for the kids
>> Mythbuntu - would be nice if I could do this but not sure if the TV
>> cards will be an issue
>>
>> thanks for any advice
>> Todd
>>

> You have given me an idea.  I think I am going to start combining
> machines around here too.  I think I will do xen on debian and then
> install my firewall machine on top of that.  Now to find some time...
>
> Sam

I am still planning on using xen but I have been trying to find
alternatives to the firewall distributions like pfsense and smoothwall
since they are not really easy to get working in xen (although very easy
to get working with full virtualization like Vmware).  Right now I am
seeing how hard it would be to configure a debian box with shorewall.
It doesn't seem too bad so far.  And being installed on debian, it would
then be easy to virtualize with xen.

Sam