[SATLUG] Xen Server

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Wed Sep 23 16:40:07 CDT 2009

David Kowis wrote:

> Samuel Leon wrote:
>  > I am still planning on using xen but I have been trying to find
>> alternatives to the firewall distributions like pfsense and smoothwall
>> since they are not really easy to get working in xen (although very easy
>> to get working with full virtualization like Vmware).  Right now I am
>> seeing how hard it would be to configure a debian box with shorewall. It
>> doesn't seem too bad so far.  And being installed on debian, it would
>> then be easy to virtualize with xen.
>>
>> Sam
>
> It's very easy to virtualize any linux in xen. The only custom part is
> the kernel. if you can get a base system installed, you can run any
> distro. You can even build your own kernel to use in one specific DomU
> if you want. You just have to build it in the dom0 and then set it up in
> the xen configuration files. I suppose having "distro support" makes it
> easier, but even the guts of xen aren't terribly difficult to deal with.
> Maybe I'm tainted by experience...
>

> - --
> David Kowis

Hmm, I will look into it.  The distro I use uses lilo too.  I think
there might be work arounds for that though.  My other issue is that so
many of these firewall distros have such out dated programs on them
(squid, snort, ect).  So I have been wanting to move away from them for
awhile.  I am going to give this shorewall stuff a whirl and see what
happens. Atleast then I would have full control and would able to let
the underlying distro keep everything up to date.

Sam