[SATLUG] Looking for suggestions/duplication from an ftp site

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 24 22:36:07 CDT 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 21:44:46 -0500, richard suberg <rsuberg at satx.rr.com>
wrote:

>I do have access to the box, but I thought going into single-user mode
>you still needed a login? (or does it assume root?)

Debian single-user (maintenance) mode still needs the root password. Of
course this is Linux and the settings may be different on your box.

Booting a Live CD distro instead will let you mount the filesystems from
the server and backup or modify them as needed. Assuming you've mounted
the server's root filesystem on /target, editing /target/etc/passwd to
eliminate the root password will let you login to the server without a
root password -- if that's what you really want to do.  --Don

--
A computer is a hole in your desk you pour time into.