[SATLUG] kernel 2.6.31 and external hard drives

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 13:46:42 CDT 2009

On Friday 25 September 2009 12:24:22 Daniel Goller wrote:
> Be it thumb drives or sd cards in usb adapter, they worked fine for me in
> .30 and still do in .31
>
> Make sure Hal is polling so it can detect and mount them.
>
> Any issue I ever had were Hal if dmesg showed the new SCSI device just fine.
>

> On Sep 25, 2009 12:11 PM, "John D Choate" <jdchoate at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have been having trouble mounting usb hard drives for a while now... since
> kernel 2.6.30, in any case. The problem used to be with all usb drives which
> got their power from the usb port, including thumb drives.
> Thumb drives now mount fine, but external usb drives, such as Western
> Digital Passport, do not mount unless they are connected to an external

Notice how I said "Thumb drives now mount fine, but external usb drives, such as Western
 Digital Passport, do not mount unless"...

Thumb drives, SD cards, and external hard drives with an external power supply all work fine. Just not external hard drives, such as the Passport, which get their power from the USB.

John C.