[SATLUG] kernel 2.6.31 and external hard drives

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 14:00:39 CDT 2009

> Are you using a USB connector with a two port tail.  my external drive
> requires the extra power of an extra USB connector to be able to spin up.
>
> Todd

No, the drives I am using have never required that... but I might try a two port tail to work around this problem.
http://www.wdc.com/en/PRODUCTS/index.asp?Cat=9  << I use both the "Elite" and "Essential" models.

This is a recent problem with my laptop since the 2.6.3x kernels, the hardware has not changed. It is all hardware which has worked together perfectly in the past, and still works fine on my Acer Aspire One netbook, which runs kernel 2.6.29 with Mandriva 2009.1. And yes, I have tried 3 different external hard drives. I even removed one of them from its case and hooked it to an external power supply and USB adapter... it worked fine then, just not when relying on USB power alone.
I do not have this problem with my desktop machine (same OS, same kernel 2.6.31, same libraries), though it takes much longer than usual for it to mount external hard drives which use only USB for power.

Again, external hard drives with external power supplies have no problem and the same goes for thumb drives and SD cards.