[SATLUG] kernel 2.6.31 and external hard drives

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 14:55:08 CDT 2009

>> and the same goes for thumb drives and SD cards.
> >
> I noticed the same problem and once I switched to the three port (2 USB
> 1 miniUSB) USB cable I was able to access the drive.  Also, I seem to
> remember there being talk about how the 2.6 kernel introduced new power
> schemes for Laptops, the problem may be related to these changes.
>
> Todd

Well, I went to Altex and found an external enclosure for 2.5" SATA drives which comes with a 2-port USB - to - USB mini cable. It did not solve the problem.
Perhaps the problem lies within the adapter within the Passport hard drive external case, which connects directly to the hard drive SATA power and data connectors.
I think now I will pop the drive out of the Western Digital passport enclosure and mount it inside this other enclosure I purchased and see if the problem is with the little pcb in the passport enclosure.