[SATLUG] kernel 2.6.31 and external hard drives -SOLVED!

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 15:15:30 CDT 2009

> again my question are you using a USB cord with 2 USB connectors on one
> end and a single (probably mini-usb) connector on the other end?  This
> is how the WD passport gets the power it needs by connecting to 2 USB
> port on your box.
>
> Todd

Problem solved!

The external drive enclosure I got at Altex, Vantec NexStar-SX 2.5", works perfectly (almost... it mounts slowly). I can use it equally well with either the 3-way USB cable which came with it, or with the single USB-to-USBmini cable which came with the Passport drive.
So... by elimination, the culprit is the the little drive controller/adapter pcb SATA-to-USBmini, which is inside the WD Passport enclosure. It simply does not do the trick when connected to my laptop when running 2.6.31
Though the drive does take a long time to mount in the new enclosure, it does work just fine.

Thanks for the tip, Todd. Even though the 3-way USB was not the solution, it did point me toward this other drive enclosure which did the trick.

John C.