[SATLUG] kernel 2.6.31 and external hard drives -SOLVED!

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 15:31:05 CDT 2009

> > John C.
> >
> No prob,  Im curious though do you notice a difference when using  a
> single vs a double? does the extra power help spin up? Just wondering.
> Todd

Nope. Not a single bit of difference. They both spin up in the same amount of time (quickly), and both are reported by Device notifier just as quickly. Then there is about half minute lag opening the drive in a file manger with either cable. This behavior is identical to my desktop machine running 2.6.31
There is still an issue with this kernel, but at least my laptop can mount drives using the Vantec NexStar enclosure.

John C.