[SATLUG] Quad-Core Xeon Server & Linux questions

David Salisbury david.salisbury at momentumweb.com
Fri Sep 25 16:57:03 CDT 2009

Considering throwing together a box with a quad-core Xeon at the helm,
and was wondering what general experiences were with multi-core
processors and some of the newer distros?  I think with SMP-enabled
kernels most of the distros will take advantage of all of the available
cores, is that correct?  What about software packages?  I guess those
would be on a per-software basis as to whether or not they use the
cores?  I'm thinking of SAMBA, for one.  Anyway, glad to hear whatever
anyone's experiences are!  Thanks!
David