[SATLUG] Looking for suggestions/duplication from an ftp site

Leo E. Midha leoem at stealth3.com
Fri Sep 25 18:20:29 CDT 2009

Don Wright wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 21:44:46 -0500, richard suberg <rsuberg at satx.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I do have access to the box, but I thought going into single-user mode
>> you still needed a login? (or does it assume root?)
>
> Debian single-user (maintenance) mode still needs the root password. Of
> course this is Linux and the settings may be different on your box.
>
> Booting a Live CD distro instead will let you mount the filesystems from
> the server and backup or modify them as needed. Assuming you've mounted
> the server's root filesystem on /target, editing /target/etc/passwd to
> eliminate the root password will let you login to the server without a
> root password -- if that's what you really want to do.  --Don

something else that might work

at your boot loader, add "init=/bin/bash" or path to shell you want.
once the server has booted to the shell,

'mount -o rw,remount /'

and there you go, you can run 'passwd' and change the root password.
following that to reboot; 'mount -o ro,remount /' and init 6

Leo Midha