[SATLUG] Quad-Core Xeon Server & Linux questions

jaret jaret at aberlorn.com
Fri Sep 25 20:29:04 CDT 2009

I've enjoyed my i7 quad-core and take advantage of the multi-core
processor by way of virtual machines. I use KVM-libvirt on Ubuntu 9.04
server with hyperthreading enabled.  I found that if one VM is set to
use 2 vcpus (virtual cpus = processors), then the VM response is slow. I
found if I run multiple VMs on a single vcpu, then the VM is slow.
Ideally I discovered if I run multiple VMs each on a single vcpu, then
response appears normal. To find out how many vcpus your processor
supports, from a terminal do "cat /proc/cpuinfo".  The output contains
groupings by processor number. For example, my i7 with hyperthreading
enabled, has 8 processors (the output shows them listed as processor 0,
then 1, then 2... to 7, for a total of 8).

Anyway, in order for the VM to take advantage of the different
processor, I had to specifically tell the VM to use processor 1 (or 2 or
3, etc) in the libvirt configuration file. I think Xen employs a similar
method.

Sorry, David, but I've only played a little bit with speed and not
exactly sure what kind of software to use to test response times or get
at more detailed multi-core processing rates. (If you have particular
ideas to test performance, I'd love to know.)

~Jaret