[SATLUG] Quad-Core Xeon Server & Linux questions

Richard Maynard richard.maynard at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 08:21:40 CDT 2009

David,

  The OS will handle running different tasks it starts on different cores,
but many applications themselves are limited to single core execution. It
depends how/if they implemented threading. I don't know where Samba falls
into that.

--
Richard

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 4:57 PM, David Salisbury <
david.salisbury at momentumweb.com> wrote:

> Considering throwing together a box with a quad-core Xeon at the helm, and
> was wondering what general experiences were with multi-core processors and
> some of the newer distros?  I think with SMP-enabled kernels most of the
> distros will take advantage of all of the available cores, is that correct?
>  What about software packages?  I guess those would be on a per-software
> basis as to whether or not they use the cores?  I'm thinking of SAMBA, for
> one.  Anyway, glad to hear whatever anyone's experiences are!  Thanks!
> David

Richard Maynard