[SATLUG] OT Utube DL

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Sat Sep 26 19:03:48 CDT 2009

Wayne Wolle wrote:
> Herb Cee wrote:
>> Wayne Wolle wrote:
>>> Google youtube-dl    I use Slackware and downloaded the package from
>>> linuxpackages.net
>> Ok I guess this is a CLI run from a terminal  Great I am also very
>> shallow on using the CLI ... I will try to learn also how to get a
>> terminal to work  in the browser. This is the stuff that is
>> frustrating to me in Linux something simple requires an overload of
>> reading and following 14,000 suggested pages from my frin Google
>> gggrrrr whine whimper
>>
>> Oh well I know that  I am indeed a fluke of the universe, I have no
>> right to be here. Whether my idea of a god is a hairy thunderer or a
>> cosmic muffin and whether I can hear it or not the universe is
>> laughing behind my back so therefore I stay calm, I rotate my tires
>> and whenever possible put people on hold.
>> Thanks
>> hh
> LOL......I know how you feel.  I was very frustrated too when I
> started in with Linux.  Yes...youtube-dl is a script run from the CLI
> but it's simple really.  You can cut or copy the youtube address from
> your browser address window and paste it into the terminal.  Or you
> can just type in the full address.
> For example:    youtube-dl http://youtube.com/whatever/address/you/want

Ok I think we on the track now
herb at Belf:~$ youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iHuaKwbKeg
Retrieving video webpage... done.
Extracting URL "t" parameter... done.
Requesting video file... done.
Video data found at
http://tc.v2.cache8.c.youtube.com/videoplayback?ip=0.0.0.0&sparams=id%2Cexpire%2Cip%2Cipbits%2Citag%2Cburst%2Cfactor&itag=5&ipbits=0&signature=AADEAB1175E093B2DFCE3CCB152BE1C3FFC8929A.C887A8C75BD825640E97BC495D60796DCD779B08&sver=3&expire=1254034800&key=yt1&factor=1.25&burst=40&id=f621ee68ac1b29e8&redirect_counter=1
Retrieving video data:  15.2% (   3.49M of 23.03M) at   62.35k/s ETA 05:20

Where will it put this file do ya think?