[SATLUG] OT Utube DL

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 23:01:36 CDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Herb Cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:
> Wayne Wolle wrote:
>>
>> Herb Cee wrote:

>>> Ok I think we on the track now
>>> herb at Belf:~$ youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iHuaKwbKeg
>>> Retrieving video webpage... done.
>>> Extracting URL "t" parameter... done.
>>> Requesting video file... done.
>>> Video data found at
>>> http://tc.v2.cache8.c.youtube.com/videoplayback?ip=0.0.0.0&sparams=id%2Cexpire%2Cip%2Cipbits%2Citag%2Cburst%2Cfactor&itag=5&ipbits=0&signature=AADEAB1175E093B2DFCE3CCB152BE1C3FFC8929A.C887A8C75BD825640E97BC495D60796DCD779B08&sver=3&expire=1254034800&key=yt1&factor=1.25&burst=40&id=f621ee68ac1b29e8&redirect_counter=1
>>> Retrieving video data:  15.2% (   3.49M of 23.03M) at   62.35k/s ETA
>>> 05:20
>>>
>>> Where will it put this file do ya think?
>>>
>> Should put it in your home folder.  This might help
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykc6zHPu2Ow
>
> Hey thanks bro Wayne, I had a 23mb .flv sitting in home but now has 0bytes
> since i did a bad trying to use ffmoeg but I been at this since noon so
> after a nap it may work fine.
> hh
> --

The file may or may not be zero but it is probably unusable without a
lot of effort.
If you want to expand the frontiers of your knowledge first do a
reboot and see if the file has a size again. If not, I recommend
downloading it again.
Linux/Unix CLI commands like "ffmpeg" generally offer the option of an
"infile" and an "outfile". Without an "outfile" specified the command
tries to modify the existing "infile" in place. Generally this fails
with results like you got.

$ffmpeg "downloaded file"[infile and outfile]  (for EXPERTS only)
$ffmpeg "downloaded file"[infile]  "new format version of downloaded
file"[outfile]  (for the REST of us)

Since I make a lot of silly little errors of logic and typing I got in
the habit of immediately copying the "downloaded file" to "downloaded
file-org" (or your name preference) and then I work with the
"downloaded file". If it gets wiped out I replace it by copying
"downloaded file-org" to "downloaded file" and start again.
This simple procedure had saved has saved me many times.

On a second note - I found some of the YouTube files appeared to
download but did not or what downloaded was not usable by any
applications known to me. When I investigated further I found I had to
be signed up in some group where I had to contribute a lot of personal
information to an unknown entity or create my own YouTube page and
populate it. Since I am very Social Sharing/Collaborating challenged I
did neither.

Good luck. Ceramic stoves sound "Very Interesting..."