[SATLUG] OT Utube DL

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 12:59:03 CDT 2009

On Saturday 26 September 2009 15:54:42 Herb Cee wrote:
> I am totally ignorant of U-tube and I thought you could DL the videos
> posted there but I am trying to DL this one on building ceramic stoves
> and cannot seem to find a way to do it I can play the video ok just
> clicking on start.
> http://www.youtube.com/ildsjalen#play/uploads/0/9iHuaKwbKeg
> Would appreciate someone telling me how to do this all I can find
> googleing says to click the link below the picture. I don't see one.
> duhhhhhh is this a senior moment?
> herb

YouTube purposely makes their videos very difficult to download. Actually, they attempt to make the videos impossible to download.
There are utilities which can be used to get around this (sometimes). I believe that firefox browser has an extension for downloading videos from youtube, so you may want to open up firefox and look for an extension to do so.
http://kde-apps.org also has a KDE service menu for konqueror which adds a 'get youtube video' link in the right-click - actions menu. Here >> http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Get+YouTube+Video+(improved)?content=41456
That has worked well for me in the past, but it has been a while since I used it.

John C.