[SATLUG] which backup medium/devices...

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Sep 29 01:48:30 CDT 2009

On Sep 28, 2009, at 12:40 PM, Alex Bartonek wrote:

> ....do you use at home?  I'm typing this on my junker palm
> centro so ignore the weird characters.
>
> just wondering what you use or do you just tarball certain
> directories and dump them to dvd's.

Within the house, I use Apple's Time Machine, backing up across the
network to a server that is connected to a Drobo RAID array with two
1.5TB and two 1.0TB hard drives in a configuration that is their
equivalent of RAID-5.  It's starting to fill up, so I'll probably be
replacing the 1TB drives with 2TB models soon.

For off-site backups, I use Time Warp from Jumping Bean Software.  It
functions a lot like Time Machine, but it encrypts the backups and
puts them on Amazon S3.  I would prefer something that would let me
use Time Machine for my local backups, and then (on the central server
only) backup the Time Machine data to an off-site location (after de-
duplication, compression, and encryption), but we're not quite there
yet.

I have not yet tested any restores for either Time Machine or Time
Warp.  I need to do that soon.

--
Brad Knowles <bradknowles at shub-internet.org>