[SATLUG] anyone cron-job their "apt-get upgrade" commands?

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 15:44:04 CDT 2009

Closest I have seen to this is doing an "apt-get --force-yes -y -d
dist-upgrade" which will automatically download all of the new
packages but will not install them.  At least this way they are ready
to go when you do decide to do the upgrade.  Not much of an issue on
broadband or LAN though.

-Henry

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:11 AM,  <travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org> wrote:
> So I heard a talk about patching and the guy was saying that everyone
> already knows how to cron-job "apt-get upgrade" or the yum equivalent.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone does this in practice and what their results
> are.  I'm nervous about upgrading kernels blindly and also some programs
> require interacive input when upgrading - non-free stuff like Sun's
> java comes to mind.
> --
> Obama Nation | My emails do not have attachments; it's a digital signature
> that your mail program doesn't understand. | http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
> If you are a spammer, please email john at subspacefield.org to get blacklisted.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay