[SATLUG] Microsoft Fails the Standards Test

Daniel Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sat Apr 3 15:57:59 CDT 2010

On Apr 3, 2010, at 3:21 PM, country wrote:

> I ran the changes on the html code, I opened it in MS browser (V 7.0) things
> were even worse than before, grin...
>
> Who knows, maybe some day MS will come join the real world of computing,
> cooperating with all...

You should be sure to set the appropriate DOCTYPE to ensure IE uses the appropriate compatibility mode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirks_mode

There are ways with Javascript and CSS to make certain things happen for specific browsers. If It's a dynamically generated page, you can check the user agent from the server variables to base how your application builds the page. It's a fact of life that IE is the dominant browser by about 2 to 1 (based on the stats I'm seeing for the traffic for all of Cloud Sites right now), so you can say "I've written it to standards, tough cookies if it doesn't work for you" or you can play to your users. The fact is, Firefox isn't completely standards compliant when it comes to web standards. If all of your users use Firefox, then build toward it and make sure you tell them to use Firefox for the best experience. If that isn't the case, then be kind and make sure it works to the best of your ability on multiple platforms.