[SATLUG] Recommended method to sync to a windows server?

Eric Haugen erichaugen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 00:48:45 CDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Ernest De Leon <edeleonjr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm, this is an interesting problem. Now you said that you have 2 windows
> NAS units

Actually Win 2008 Storage server

> , and on one you have a 7.2TB VHD?

Yes, 1 huge VHD file.

> Is that just a file sitting on
> the NAS?

Yes

> You said it's formatted to EXT3 and is the target for an iSCSI
> initiator?

Yes

> I am not familiar with this type of setup. Is this an actual NAS
> unit or a SAN that has a LUN exported as an iSCSI target for a RedHat
> server?

LaCie 24TB Win 2008 Storage server.  Actually just a regular server.  Just
got tired of arguing over the name.

> The second you said has an NTFS share.

Yes, but I can create a 2nd VHD and have it act as a 2nd iSCSI target and
have the Red Hat box control the data between the 2.

> Is this an actual NAS unit with an
> exported CIFS share? or is it another SAN with a LUN exported to a Windows
> server?

Identical LaCie unit.