[SATLUG] .config file for make or scripts?

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 21:11:10 CDT 2010

On Wednesday 07 April 2010 18:29:29 David Kowis wrote:

> I don't know of any specific configuration for global make configuration
> but in ~/.bashrc you can do alias make="make -j 4 "
>
> And then make will always be that. Know though that some things don't
> always build with multiple make jobs.
>
> David

Ahh, that's what I was looking for. Thank you.
I won't do it that way in case I end up with anything which won't build properly. But I'll make a note of using 'alias' in .bashrc like that.
That may come in handy in other situations.
I think I'll go ahead and make some scripts for running 'make' and 'make install' as parallel processes.

Mandriva uses pulseaudio for the sound system and I use Mandriva 'cooker' (devel), which has frequent updates. I have found on both my desktop and laptop systems that I must build pulseaudio from scratch after it gets updated via urpmi. The pre-built pulseaudio packages are total turds on my systems and I have nothing but problems if I don't build pulseaudio myself. For several months now I have been keeping the most recent version of pulseaudio in my downloads directory, all built and ready to run 'make install'. I only recently learned that make could run with multiple jobs. Running 'make install --jobs=4' has made the process of reinstalling pulseaudio almost trivial.

John C.