[SATLUG] file encryption

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Apr 8 10:30:07 CDT 2010

> Borries Demeler wrote:
>> How do I password encrypt/decrypt a single ascii file using Linux
>> command line?
>
> gpg --encrypt filename
> gpg --decrypt filename

OK, thanks Bruce, that seems to be what I was looking for, but I need
a bit more help than that. There is a huge documentation and it would
take me forever to wade through this, I just need something quick here.
Take a file, encrypt it with a password so it becomes unreadable until
it is decrypted with the same password. When I do what you suggest I get:

You did not specify a user ID. (you may use "-r")

Current recipients:

Enter the user ID.  End with an empty line:

OK, so maybe it wants to mail the file to me?

I enter my e-mail, and I get:
Current recipients:

Enter the user ID.  End with an empty line: demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
No such user ID.

Current recipients:

Enter the user ID.  End with an empty line:
gpg: no valid addressees
gpg: filename: encryption failed: no such user id

Clearly, this is not what I had in mind.

DOing a bit more digging I find -o for output to file.

gpg -o test --encrypt filename

Enter the user ID.  End with an empty line: demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
No such user ID.

Current recipients:

Enter the user ID.  End with an empty line:
gpg: no valid addressees
gpg: filename: encryption failed: no such user id

I give up for now. What am I missing here? I have never used gpg

-b.