[SATLUG] Choosing a Display Manager

Howard Haradon hharadon at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 22:00:44 CDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Frank Huddleston <fhuddles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>   I'm trying to decide which display manager to run under the FluxBox window
> manager. I guess the generic one is xdm, but Gnome uses gdm, KDE uses kdm,
> and then I think there are a few others around. I've always used xdm just
> because it was the default, but a while ago I installed Ubuntu Studio and
> that runs with Gnome by default, and gdm.
>  I ran FluxBox over gdm for a while, then replaced it with xdm, just because
> it seemed to be less aligned with any particular windowing system. I run
> apps from everywhere: Gnome, KDE, X, whatever.
>  I understand that usually, the choice of the display manager is determined
> by the window or desktop manager, but in this case it isn't. So I'm asking:
> for the users who don't run either Gnome or KDE: how did you decide on the
> display manager? What are the factors which are considerations in picking
> one or the other?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank Huddleston

Frank, I have used the Xfce window manager built in to
Xubuntu over the past 2 years and have liked it.  Xfce
is uncluttered and stable, but it does lack some of the
gui management features of a Gnome.  Also, you could
take a look at the venerable Motif window manager.  See
http://www.openmotif.org/ for more info.

Good luck, Howard