[SATLUG] Eve Online for Linux

adam at quo.com adam at quo.com
Tue Apr 13 15:48:29 CDT 2010

> On Apr 13, 2010, at 1:07 PM, Dylan Nelson <cold2na at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had any success with running Eve while using a Linux
>> distro?
>> Trying to prove a point to some people at my work that Linux can do
>> anything
>> every other operating system can do. Their retort is Gaming! I am
>> not having
>> so much luck running this with wine.
>
> My brother ran it for a long time, but I heard that they recently
> dropped "official" Linux support. That said, they were basically just
> distributing it packaged with Wine, so you should be able to get it
> going. You might look at Cedega or CrossOver's gaming app. They're
> both Wine-based products.
>
> --
> Daniel
> --

Sad to hear there is no official client. I used to run it for a while with
Wine, then switched to the official version, it ran fairly well for me.
Try looking in the Wine AppDB for suggestions.

Also, if you aren't set on Eve, Unreal Tournament 2004 (UT2k4 to most) ran
extremely well natively, their DVD has the installer on it for Linux even,
IIRC.

Or try Warcraft 3, it runs almost perfectly in Wine as well. The Wine
AppDB is probably your best resource for this challenge...

   --Adam