[SATLUG] Automatic BCC configuration for SMTP relay...

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Wed Apr 14 16:37:23 CDT 2010

Hey all,

I have a client that wants a "poor man's" email archive solution.  They have
hosted POP email, and no ability to add rules to the hosted SMTP servers.
They use Outlook 2003 on XP for email.  They have a Win2K3 Server that could
be configured to relay.

The way I see it I have 3 Options:

   1. Configure each user's Outlook to Auto BCC to archive address (Per
   user, Per Outlook, Coding required).
   2. Configure Win2K3 SMTP to relay to both recipient(s) and archive
   address (Easiest, but least experience with)
   3. Set up Linux VM to be SMTP relay to CC all outgoing email to archive
   address (postfix always_bcc directive?)

I have no idea how to configure any of the major SMTP services to do this,
and I am not sure what to Google, as I am not sure what this is called.
Searching Auto BCC results in mostly setting up Outlook via code samples to
automatically BCC.

Thoughts?
John