[SATLUG] Home Network Configuration

redpill toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Thu Apr 22 08:11:51 CDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 23:45 -0500, Dylan Nelson wrote:
> I want to do some home networking with building my own hardware firewall. I
> want to run either openbsd, iptables (like ipfire), and need a linux server.
> I need some serious practice on these kind of configurations. The problems
> come in play with constant trial and error with the home network while my
> wife is home and online. No kind of 'sorry honey, building a firewall. Oh,
> oops about shutting the dvr connection off during Glee' is even
> approachable. How can I build my own practice lab without really affecting
> her network until I can expertly configure this setup. thanks in advance. Oh
> here is all I got on hand:
>
>    - desktop with three nics (firewall)
>    - 3 desktops (1 mac as multimedia pc)
>    - 2 laptops
>    - 2 smartphones
>    - 1 ipod (wireless)
>    - switch ( 8 port)
>    - modem
>    - router (Netgear g. might get n soon).
>    - also, a soekris board in mail soon.
>
> Dylan
you should have enought to set up 2 separate subnets.  if you use
pfsense: 1 nic to wan, 1 nic to lan, with the third going to the opt.
set your stable (home-multimedia) up on the lan with your switch.  then
set up the opt network on the router.  use the opt network as your
experimental and you should be ok.  This is generally how I have mine
setup for my mad experiments and it keeps the wife off of my back.

Todd