[SATLUG] Home Network Configuration

Matt Grooms mgrooms at satx.rr.com
Sat Apr 24 15:56:39 CDT 2010

On 4/21/2010 11:45 PM, Dylan Nelson wrote:
> I want to do some home networking with building my own hardware firewall. I
> want to run either openbsd, iptables (like ipfire), and need a linux server.
> I need some serious practice on these kind of configurations. The problems
> come in play with constant trial and error with the home network while my
> wife is home and online. No kind of 'sorry honey, building a firewall. Oh,
> oops about shutting the dvr connection off during Glee' is even
> approachable. How can I build my own practice lab without really affecting
> her network until I can expertly configure this setup. thanks in advance. Oh
> here is all I got on hand:
>
>     - desktop with three nics (firewall)
>     - 3 desktops (1 mac as multimedia pc)
>     - 2 laptops
>     - 2 smartphones
>     - 1 ipod (wireless)
>     - switch ( 8 port)
>     - modem
>     - router (Netgear g. might get n soon).
>     - also, a soekris board in mail soon.
>
> Dylan

Dylan,

Perhaps installing a turnkey Linux based firewall is the way to go. It
would allow you to have it up and running in under an hour, then you
could poke around on it later to see how things work.

I'm a gig fan of IPCop, and have used it exclusively for about six
years. It's extremely easy to install, yet powerful as well.

I operate it in a four burb configuration (red-public interface,
orange-DMZ for my web facing server(s), blue-wireless, and green-LAN).
Give it a try; just don't try the latest version 1.9. It's just been
released and in my opinion is ready for prime time. Use the previous
version 1.4.X; rock steady, and feature rich.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ipcop/wiki

Matt Grooms

PS - another great Linux based firewall is Endian.