[SATLUG] RHEL 6 Beta Networking

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Sat Apr 24 16:38:33 CDT 2010

I'd installed the new Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Beta on my old Athlon
64 machine and couldn't get it working on my home network, so I
reinstalled PCLinuxOS 2010 on that partition.

Then I set RHEL 6 Beta up again as a VMware guest OS so I could fiddle
around with it.  I have the CERN version of Scientific Linux 5.5 (which
is rebuilt from sources from RHEL 5.5), set up as a VMware guest OS on
the same box, so I figured I could compare the config files between the
two and see if there were any glaring errors.

After a few trials of setting up networking, the RHEL 6 Beta box finally
connected to my router once I'd redone the FQDN.  On RHEL 5 variants, a
simple hostname by itself was all that was required, but for some
strange reason on RHEL 6 Beta requires a domain name as well.

Example:

My Scientific Linux CERN 5 box is called phrodocern and connects fine.

[phrodocern] /home/afcasta > uname -a
Linux phrodocern 2.6.18-194.el5 #1 SMP Thu Apr 1 14:34:23 CEST 2010
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My RHEL 6 Beta box was called phrodo-rhel6 and wouldn't connect.

[afcasta at phrodo-rhel6 ~]$ uname -a
Linux phrodo-rhel6 2.6.32-19.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 9 17:48:46 EST
2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I changed the RHEL 6 Beta's name to add a domain name (which is not a
real, registered domain) and now the RHEL 6 Beta box connects fine:

[afcasta at phrodo-rhel6 ~]$ uname -a
Linux phrodo-rhel6.casacastanoli 2.6.32-19.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 9
17:48:46 EST 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm writing on it now, but figured if anyone else was having trouble
connecting the new RHEL 6 Beta, this might work for you, too.

Regards,

Al Castanoli