[SATLUG] PCLinuxOS 2010

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 19:08:44 CDT 2010

>> Al Castanoli to San

>> Apr 24 (1 day ago)

>> I'd installed the new Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Beta on my old Athlon
>> 64 machine and couldn't get it working on my home network, so I
>> reinstalled PCLinuxOS 2010 on that partition

Al, thanks for the tip on PCLinuxOS 2010.
Got it installed and loving it. The KDE 4.? is just the way I like it.
Very KDE 3.? like.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do a "painless" upgrade like Ubuntu does?
The reason I did the Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade is to get ready for
the "painless" upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04.
A fresh install is not as friendly (even for Ubuntu) - I lost all my
personalizations.
The Ubuntu upgrades kept all of them or asked me to keep or upgrade.
Very nice...

I had to do fresh installs of Ubuntu 9.10 and PCLinuxOS 2010 on a
dual-boot machine.
Got an interesting lesson in dual-booting GRUB2 (Ubuntu 9.10) and GRUB
(PCLinuxOS 2010).
The Ubuntu upgrades kept the GRUB legacy code. Not sure if that is a
good deal long term for 8.04 to 10.04 upgrades.
I'm not sure GNU really has the answer to boot management.
Maybe the problem is more complex than I know about. It is not as
"painless" as I believe it could be.
That's another topic...