[SATLUG] PCLinuxOS 2010

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Sun Apr 25 20:56:03 CDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 19:08 -0500, Robert Pearson wrote:
> >> Al Castanoli to San Antonio Linux Users Group
> >> Apr 24 (1 day ago)
> >> I'd installed the new Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Beta on my old Athlon
> >> 64 machine and couldn't get it working on my home network, so I
> >> reinstalled PCLinuxOS 2010 on that partition

> Al, thanks for the tip on PCLinuxOS 2010.
> Got it installed and loving it. The KDE 4.? is just the way I like it.
> Very KDE 3.? like.

That's typical of Mandriva, too.  I'm not too fond of the KDE 4 on
Fedora, though.  One thing I like about Scientific Linux 5.5 is it's
still using KDE 3.5 and seems a lot easier to configure than KDE 4.

> Does anyone know if there is a way to do a "painless" upgrade like Ubuntu does?
> The reason I did the Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade is to get ready for
> the "painless" upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04.
> A fresh install is not as friendly (even for Ubuntu) - I lost all my
> personalizations.

I don't trust anaconda to keep what I want in my home directory, so I
tar it up from the old version, do a clean install of the new version
with a different username, add my original username and untar the old
home directory, then chown -R the whole directory to make sure I don't
have a UID mismatch.  About the only issues I've run into with this is
untarring a Linux home directory into /export/home on an opensolaris box
sometimes give strange results, and there's almost always a firefox
version mismatch. If I'm doing a switch from Gnome to KDE, I'll usually
just tar up a few things like

$ cd; tar czvf firefox.tgz .mozilla
$ cd; tar czvf mail.tgz .evolution

and such. I usually do this also with ~/vmware and ~/.vmware so I don't
have to tar up the individual guest OSes.  I copy those tarballs off to
another disk or other media and then copy them over to the new installs
to unpack them with tar xzvf.  Recently I've been using thumb drives for
this.

> The Ubuntu upgrades kept all of them or asked me to keep or upgrade.
> Very nice...

> I had to do fresh installs of Ubuntu 9.10 and PCLinuxOS 2010 on a
> dual-boot machine.
> Got an interesting lesson in dual-booting GRUB2 (Ubuntu 9.10) and GRUB
> (PCLinuxOS 2010).
> The Ubuntu upgrades kept the GRUB legacy code. Not sure if that is a
> good deal long term for 8.04 to 10.04 upgrades.
> I'm not sure GNU really has the answer to boot management.
> Maybe the problem is more complex than I know about. It is not as
> "painless" as I believe it could be.
> That's another topic...

When I'm dual booting Ubuntu with PCLinuxOS, I put a copy of the Ubuntu
kernel in PCLinuxOS's /boot directory and let GRUB deal with it that
way, just like I do when I'm dual booting a machine with Slackware.
That may be overkill, but I got in that habit back when I started
rolling my own kernels to keep debugging time down.

Al Castanoli