[SATLUG] PCLinuxOS 2010

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 21:46:53 CDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 8:08 PM, Robert Pearson <e2eiod at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Al Castanoli to San
>
>>> Apr 24 (1 day ago)
>
>>> I'd installed the new Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Beta on my old Athlon
>>> 64 machine and couldn't get it working on my home network, so I
>>> reinstalled PCLinuxOS 2010 on that partition
>
> Al, thanks for the tip on PCLinuxOS 2010.
> Got it installed and loving it. The KDE 4.? is just the way I like it.
> Very KDE 3.? like.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to do a "painless" upgrade like Ubuntu does?
> The reason I did the Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade is to get ready for
> the "painless" upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04.
> A fresh install is not as friendly (even for Ubuntu) - I lost all my
> personalizations.
> The Ubuntu upgrades kept all of them or asked me to keep or upgrade.
> Very nice...
>
> I had to do fresh installs of Ubuntu 9.10 and PCLinuxOS 2010 on a
> dual-boot machine.
> Got an interesting lesson in dual-booting GRUB2 (Ubuntu 9.10) and GRUB
> (PCLinuxOS 2010).
> The Ubuntu upgrades kept the GRUB legacy code. Not sure if that is a
> good deal long term for 8.04 to 10.04 upgrades.
> I'm not sure GNU really has the answer to boot management.
> Maybe the problem is more complex than I know about. It is not as
> "painless" as I believe it could be.
> That's another topic...

If your home directory is on a separate partition or drive just back
it up and do your new install and tell the system to use the existing
partition or drive again for home without formatting it.

I have done it that way with PCLinuxOS several times and never had a problem.

--
If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the
people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become