[SATLUG] groupware

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sun Aug 1 11:31:43 CDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 10:24, Todd W. Bucy <r3d91ll at grandecom.net> wrote:

> > Zimbra is the best Exchange replacement that I know of.

I have been using it as my primary business EMail system since 2005 (Hosted
via 2 different providers over different periods of time).  Web interface is
2nd to none, as is the search (GMail is about the same, but Zimba's overall
feel as a mailbox is better IMHO.)

Only had one major incident due to several issues (Both Zimbra 5 and Hosting
bug) that caused the host (01.com) to fix a number of issues internally as
well as Zimbra to beef-up it's disaster recovery and backup methods.  No
incidence since the Z6 upgrade.

Once Zimbra Desktop 2 is over some (in my case show-stopper) issues, it will
be awesome.  Outlook requires a add-in for full function (MAPI is not an
open/publicly documented API, so either the product reverse engineers it
(Citadel/Scalix) or replaces it (Zimbra)).

> > Zimbra handles all of the integration pieces for you, but it is probably
> overkill for what it sounds like you want to do.

Since Zimbra was bought by VMware, they have released a fully integrated VM
(Network Edition, $), as have several others (Open Edition, No $).

> > Next, obvious question. Any reason Google Apps or another hosted solution
> wouldn't work? After all, Gmail can retrieve mail from other servers and
> would be a heck of a lot easier to setup and maintain. It also has the
> integrated calendar and contacts. I run my own mail server and I have my
> reasons for that, but it isn't something I recommend everyone do.

There are several others, depending on what your needs are.  Scalix has been
mentioned on this forum at one point, and I think Citadel is easier to
integrate and has fewer moving parts.

See:
http://www.rawseo.com/news/2009/06/08/5-open-alternatives-to-microsoft-exchange/

> I am begining to lean towards Zimbra as it does seem to be the best
> dropin for Exchange, but the overhead of all the extras that I know I
> will, never use makes me hesitant.  I checked out roundcube and they
> have a calendar plugin so I think I will give them a shot first.

As I wanted a "drop in" for exchange (Shared calendars, Shared/Delegated
mailboxes, Global Search, Global Address list, ActiveSync for mobile users,
server side handling rules, global administration, etc) Zimbra has been an
excellent fit, and 01.com has been as good a host as I have dealt with.  And
for ~6/box/month, way better than hosting my own system or even most other
hosted solutions (exchange tends to be ~50%-100% more)

HTH,
John