[SATLUG] Optic drives disappeared

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Fri Aug 6 17:18:08 CDT 2010

My cdroms used to show up as /dev/hda and /dev/hdb (and work flawlessly).
Now they'll show up as /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1 but only if I boot with
media in the drives otherwise nothing. They are not scsi drives.

When I try wodim I get:
Detected CD-R drive: /dev/sr1
wodim: Cannot do inquiry for CD/DVD-Recorder.
Errno: 5 (Input/output error), test unit ready scsi sendcmd: fatal error
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s

The old line in fstab which should probably be removed is:
/dev/hdb        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

When I try mount /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 after sometime I get:
mount: /dev/sr0: unknown device

which is different than:
# mount /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0
mount: special device /dev/hdb does not exist

Despite having CDs in both drives:
# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0/
mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0

And # ls -l /dev/ | grep cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 Aug  6 15:41 cdrom1 -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 Aug  6 14:32 cdrom2 -> sr1
crw-rw----  1 root cdrom    21,   2 Aug  6 14:16 sg2
crw-rw----  1 root cdrom    21,   3 Aug  6 14:16 sg3
brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom    11,   0 Aug  6 15:41 sr0
brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom    11,   1 Aug  6 14:32 sr1