[SATLUG] Root problems

Peter Cross pjcrux at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 18:40:02 CDT 2010

I am using Fedora 12 and cannot it seems get to root:

[Peter at heretic ~]$ su -c "nano /etc/pam.d/gdm"
Password:
su: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted

I've tried to just a normal "su -" to get to root as well and the same issue
appears. I was using chmod the other night and I think I may have
inadvertently done a "chmod -R 777 /" (intended to do a "chmod -R 777
/var/hda/files" my yellow lab hit my hand, he wanted attention :) ). Is this
recoverable or in the grand scheme of things is it better to just reinstall?
I have a very recent backup but would not like to have to reinstall, migrate
the data back, and get all of my other applications reset (6+ hours).

Thoughts? Recommendations? Prayers?

Thanks in advance!

Peter
(current holder of the dunce cap)